Changing weather can take a toll on your plumbing. The water inside your pipes can freeze, and if not taken care of, can cause your pipes to burst. Frozen pipes are not only a pain to deal with but can also be costly to repair. At Masco & Sons, we provide heating repair in Apple Valley, CA. Here are some tips to help prevent your pipes from freezing this winter:
- Insulate your pipes to keep them from freezing. You can find special foam tubes at most hardware stores that you slip over your pipes. Ensure the tubes fit snugly against your pipes and seal any gaps with caulk.
- If you lose power, turn off your water main to prevent your pipes from bursting if they freeze. It will help keep the water in your pipes from expanding and causing them to break.
- Let a trickle of water drip from your faucets during extreme cold snaps. It will help keep water flowing through your pipes, preventing them from freezing. If you don’t have dripping faucets, you can open the cabinets under your sinks to let the warm air circulate around your pipes.
- Keep your home thermostat set to the same temperature day and night. A quick drop in temperature can lead to your pipes freezing. It’s best to keep a consistent temperature in your home to avoid this issue.
- If you’re going away for an extended period of time, have someone check on your home to ensure the heat is still on, and there are no signs of frozen pipes. If you can, leave the heat set to at least 55 degrees Fahrenheit while you’re gone. It is always best to schedule heating services with HVAC professionals in Apple Valley, CA, who can do in-depth inspections.
- There are a few things you can do to thaw out frozen pipes if they do happen to freeze. You can use a hair dryer, heating pad, or even a space heater to thaw the ice. Do not use an open flame while attempting to thaw your pipes, as it could lead to them rupturing.
- If you experience a frozen pipe, it’s essential to know where your water shut-off valve is located. It will allow you to turn off the water in case of an emergency. Most homes have one main water shut-off valve, which is usually located near the water meter. If you can’t find your water shut-off valve, contact Masco & Sons for assistance.
- Make sure to carefully move warm air to any cold sections of your home because pipes that freeze are frequently found next to an exterior wall or window. Start in your basement and search for any pipes that are close to the home’s exterior.
These simple steps can help prevent costly repairs and the headache of dealing with frozen pipes. However, if you end up with frozen pipes, do not hesitate to call the heating experts at Masco & Sons. We’ll help you get your pipes thawed out and back to normal in no time. We provide the best furnace service in Apple Valley, CA. Our certified and experienced technicians are available for heating services. Call us today at (760) 953-0383 to schedule a consultation.